Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Final reflection

As the class comes to a close, I realize a paradigm shift. Online learning is not as easy as assumed. You must be a methodical, diligent and efficient task manager. At all times, the Internet should be accessible and your computer system(s) should be working in tandem. Moreover, online facilitation as well as learning is time intensive. I wonder if the output (homework) for online learning takes more time than face-to-face interaction. The best analogy I can think of is running for a marathon. You can run to win it or run to finish. Each outcome depends on how you train, your ability and your preparation.

An interesting research project would be developing a learning style inventory that would indicate whether a student is more suitable for online learning versus traditional lecture method. Variables to measure would be locus of control, self-regulation, timeliness, and motivators to name a few. A lot of people don’t have patience for schoolwork and think that online education is the answer. Some people are not good with detail and independently organizing information. Having a measurement tool for readiness is good but measuring capacity or ability is a different matter all together.

Believe it or not, I think the way this class played out with the different online interactions was a good experience for our class. We got to see the “good, bad and ugly” of online facilitation. I thought it was quite funny that the other groups felt like they did not get enough experience or exposure. I felt my experience really showed me how it can be done as well as the components that make up good online facilitation.

As I develop my BlackBoard courses, I think of the countless hours of videotaping and developing resources. Since I am camera-shy, I am looking at developing scripts and videos my niece can do in my place. I think students will take well to a young cute little girl talking to them about better choices. She would be non-threatening to my student population. I need to channel eight-year-old drama queen’s energy into something productive.

I hope that future FIT assignments could be developing resources for online courses. In order to “share” the wealth of experiences between groups, perhaps viewing screenshots of each course on Bb would showcase strengths and weaknesses of courses offered on line. We completed a few exercises in the beginning of the course. I think a few more case studies throughout the semester would be appreciated and bridge the gap between groups that don’t get that much exposure in their FIT groups. Similarly, simulations would also enhance experience.

No comments: